5 Best Before and After Workout Snacks
Exercise is a body activity that promotes physical fitness and wellness. This is an activity wherein an individual is able to burn calories by breaking down nutrients to be utilized by the body. It is essential in obtaining a healthy body weight.
Before workout choose snacks that are high in complex carbohydrates for a more stable source of energy to sustain you all throughout your workout. The best time to eat is 30 to 60 minutes before you start your workout.
Here are 5 Best Before Workout Snacks:
- Oatmeal with Fresh Fruits (Berries, Banana, Apple)
- Whole Wheat Bread with Peanut Butter or Hummus
- Eggs ‘N Toast (Hard-boiled Eggs and Whole Wheat Toast)
- Fresh Fruit Cup (cubed Pineapple, Watermelon or Papaya)
- Fruit Shake with Dairy (Fresh Fruits blended with low-fat Yogurt or Milk)
After workout, choose snacks that are rich in protein for the repair of muscle tissues and to replenish glycogen stores. Protein and carbohydrates are best eaten together after workout for better muscle recovery. The best time to eat is 30 to 60 minutes after your work out.
Here are 5 Best After Workout Snacks:
- Tuna Sandwich (use whole wheat bread)
- Whole wheat Pita with Hummus
- Dried Fruits and Nuts
- Egg Sandwich (use whole wheat bread)
- Yogurt with Fresh Berries or Banana
Having snacks before and after workout is very important for energy source and muscle repair. Water is also a must have before and after workout to prevent dehydration especially in strenuous type of activities. Drinking enough water can also help speed up your metabolism which is great if you are aiming to lose weight. Limit your intake of sweets and sodium-rich snacks, because it might lead you to binge eating. Proper timing of snacks is also beneficial to the body because it provides enough fuel and nutrients you need to help build muscle, burn fat, and recover from a heavy workout.