Low Calorie Snacks for Weight Loss
Snack Tip for Dieters! Know How to Choose Low Calorie Snacks
Everyday meals should compose of breakfast, lunch, dinner and in between snacks. Even if you want to shed some fat, you still need to follow a correct eating pattern to stay healthy. Just eat less than your usual intake if you are aiming to lose weight and choose the right kind of foods to go with your meals. As we all know, anything in excess especially those foods that are high in calories can lead to weight gain. Having poor snack choices can also make you fat; to avoid this, you must be equipped with knowledge on how to choose a low calorie yet healthy snack.
Here’s a checklist that you can use to end up choosing a low calorie snack:
- Vegetables: raw vegetables are always the best option. Most vegetables do not contain fat, they are rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals which is needed by the body to function well. To enhance the flavor you can add spices when preparing them; Vegetable sticks made from carrot, cucumber, celery, turnips, or radish is also a popular snack item. You can serve them with salsa or plain Greek yogurt dip. If you want variety, combine some fresh leafy greens with other veggies like tomatoes, and bell pepper, drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar for a quick salad.
- Fruits: fresh and dried fruits are delicious, convenient to eat and very nutritious. They will definitely make a healthy snack and can fill you up. Fruits are low in calories, rich in vitamins, minerals, water and fiber which promote overall well-being and can also help you lose weight.
- Bread: choose whole wheat or multi grain bread with raisins, oatmeal, dates and other fiber-rich foods.
- Beverage: your number one option is to drink water. If you want something tasty and refreshing yet low in calories you can have fresh lemon or orange juice; coffee or tea without sugar or milk added are also low in calories.
- Milk and Dairy Products: low-fat milk, yogurt or cheese can also make a good choice for snack.
- Complete Snack: you can have lettuce leaves filled with thin slices of vegetables and pinto beans.
- Sweets: to satisfy your sweet tooth, you can have homemade oatmeal cookies, fresh fruit salad, or a cup of fruit-flavored gelatin.
- Soup: If you want a soup for snack, try lentil soup or broth-based vegetable soup.
It is always best if you can prepare your own snack, this way you can modify the recipe by reducing the amount of fat and/or sugar and then you can add nuts, dates, figs or any dried fruits instead.
If you don’t have time to prepare, there are many snack food choices in the supermarket. But you must be smart in choosing them, always read the nutrition labels, and make sure that it gives low calorie content per serving. For longer feeling of satiety choose items that contain high amount of fiber and protein. Take note also of how the food was prepared. Avoid deep-fried foods and those with too much sugar.
Losing weight doesn’t mean that you need to deprive yourself; you just need to make the right choices and be disciplined to eat the right amount. Moreover, successful weight loss is always a combination of exercise and eating healthy. But you can start losing weight by shifting on low calorie snacks today!